Monday, February 18, 2013

Gearing up for jazz band!

Hey everybody!
Sorry I haven't been posting lately, I have been really busy working on so many different things.
Rock n Roll Camp for Girls OC is finally off the ground with a fiscal sponsor, and school is back in session.

I joined the Jazz Band at Santa Ana College and have been practicing my butt off reading charts and getting comfortable playing jazz and latin jazz.

We are doing one of my favorite swing songs, Sing Sing Sing! It's a really cool swing song that Gene Krupa played on back in the day.


The cool tom part can be played with a second line pattern. Try it!

RRL RRL RL

Swing it when you play

Play 2 and 4 on the hihat

The kick pattern should be an ostinato-ish

Check out this video that is a quick tutorial on Second Line jazz drumming:


Try it at home or with your band!

No comments:

Post a Comment