Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Finding My Zen Before Going Into the Studio- Helpful Tips for Nervous Drummers

Finding My Zen Before Going Into the Studio- Helpful Tips for Nervous Drummers by Candace Hansen

So going into the studio gives me equal parts joy and anxiety. I think of all the times someone told me that “Tape doesn’t lie” or that what I’m going to do will “define me for the rest of my living existence.” (Ok, thats obviously extreme, but some people have been told stuff like that!) Thinking of the finality of recording can be freaky and exciting, especially if you are in a working or DIY band and spending a lot of time and money to make something that you are proud of. I’ve recorded many times in all kinds of situations, and feel like I finally have found my recording Zen. Hopefully these may be helpful to you too!

1.Know the difference between passionate and obsessive.
There’s a difference between being passionate and being obsessive. I know when I was younger, I would expect that every take was going to be killer, and that every note would be perfect, and when they weren’t I would do more takes until they were perfect. Even if others told me they sounded good, I always thought that I could do better. You are always going to be your own worst critic, be open to hear if something sucks but also if something sounds good when you are being critical of your own work. Also remember that when you hear the track in a few days its going to sound different than you are hearing it now. Now that I have experience and am a much better drummer than I was 10 years ago I’ve learned that mistakes are inevitable, and almost every record has a few. Chill out, find the vibe of the song, and quit obsessing over every detail.

2.Lose the expectations.
Having ridiculous expectations will ruin your recording experience faster than any thing. If you are listening to every raw track expecting to hear pure gold, you will be sadly let down every single time. Further, if you have expectations of other people that have never been communicated you are bound to leave heart broken or pissed. Let the experience happen, don’t force stuff, and don’t get worked up if things don’t go how you imagined them. Sometimes the best things happen when you just let go.

3.Self Care 101! Be comfortable in the studio, and be cool.
I know we’re all adults here, but like for real wear comfortable clothes and shoes to record in. Bring snacks and drinks that you like, because they will get you through the day. Be aware of your and your bandmates boundaries; don’t hammer someone for not practicing when you know they have been working, or don’t ask someone about triggering stuff before they are going to do vocals. Bring a phone charger and headphones for downtime if you will be there with your band all day. Stay hydrated: Don’t get drunk or drink a million energy drinks because even though it may seem like a fun or necessary part of the experience, you will regret it later. Being cool and collected is the best way to lay down tracks that reflect that state of mind.

4.Know your gear!
Not everyone is a gear nerd and that’s ok, but please know the gear you are going to be recording on. One of my favorite things to do to get my Zen on before recording is totally nerd out on the kit I’m going to be using. Like cleaning it out, change all the heads, tuning it immaculately. While I’m working on my gear I like to listen to music that I love the drum sound on, because it gets me in the mood for what I want to do in the studio. I’ll listen to those songs, and imagine how I want the drums to sound in the studio. Invite a buddy and have a drum party. Becoming one with your kit will change your recording experience, and if you don’t feel super comfortable with gear, give it a shot!

5. Be cool with the producer
Know their name, say hey, ask how their day is going. It sounds so rudimentary, but seriously these folks can make or break your time recording, as well as the final product. Talk about drum sound with the engineer. Definitely be aware of their time, and be grateful for the work they are doing. Most importantly, listen, be respectful, and please don’t ever micromanage!


All and all, just be cool, know your parts, show up early (but not too early), get a good breakfast, and envision what you want to achieve and most importantly how you want to feel when you are recording and when you get the finished product.

Candace Hansen is a drummer and educator from Orange County, CA. She’s been drumming in all kinds of bands in So Cal for the last 10 years, look for a new record in early 2015 with her new band YAAWN.
Originally posted November 2014 on the Istanbul Agop website.  
- See more at: http://istanbulcymbals.com/blog/60/finding-my-zen-before-going-into-the-studio-helpful-tips-for-nervous-drummers-by-candace-hansen.html#sthash.hIBd4Gnu.dpuf

No comments:

Post a Comment